Improved communication is the key to having a very successful marriage. If you are currently experiencing frequent problems with your spouse then you should attempt to remedy the situation by learning how to improve communication between the two of you. You’ll find that life becomes a whole lot better when the two of you are able to express your requirements clearly to each other using the following tips:
• Always be ready to listen to your spouse. This will set the tone for your mutual interaction and ensure that both parties can get their point of view across. You have to practice this consistently and be genuine about it, even if the subject in question doesn’t interest you very much. This will also help you understand your spouse very well.
• Keep time for each other or else you will not have the opportunity to express all of your thoughts and needs: It is very easy for people to neglect the needs of their spouses, especially if there are many different things that demand their attention. If you have kids then you should definitely ensure that they do not take up all of your spare time. You should also turn the television set off when talking to your spouse. Furthermore, don’t let your cell phone or lap top come in the way of your attempts at communication.
• Don’t hold back on any information. If you give lots of information about day to day activities as well as long term plans then your spouse can also make plans accordingly. Many domestic problems arise because of wrong or insufficient information. Get into the habit of writing notes to each other, either electronically or physically, so that important information doesn’t go astray.
• Do not let social media take over all your free time. It is easy to give all your attention to these sites at the expense off your spouse. In addition, you should make sure that your spouse’s profile is linked to yours so that there is complete transparency of your online activities. It is best to be completely open about your friendships so that there is no scope for mis-communication.
• Fight in a clean manner if you really have to get into an argument. This means that you should avoid making personal comments or issuing threats. If you fight unfairly then there will be lots of residual bad feelings long after the fight has been resolved.
The secret to a happy married life definitely lies in learning how to improve communication.